Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) focuses on improving a school’s ability to teach and support positive behavior for all students. It is a proactive approach of prevention and response to classroom and school discipline issues. The emphasis is on developing and maintaining a safe environment where teachers can teach and students can learn.
How does PBIS benefit our school?
- A proactive and consistent approach to school-wide discipline which will assist in improved student achievement.
- Teaches and reinforces appropriate behaviors.
- Provides data to assess needs and make informed decisions.
- Provides increased feedback and support to staff.
- Creates consistent language and expectations across all school areas
Ultimately, PBIS implementation provides a decrease in addressing challenging behaviors which thereby increases overall instructional time.
What are the 4 R's?
All students in the district are expected to follow the 4 R's
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Ready to learn
- And Be Really safe
When a staff member observes a student or class doing an exceptional job with one or more of the 4 R’s they receive a “golden ticket” and are put into weekly and monthly drawings to receive special recognition and prizes at their school sites and the district office.