Robla School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
| Login Twitter instagram_newInstagram Facebook Youtube Search

Homeless Services

Definition of Children Experiencing Homelessness

Individuals who lack a fixed, regular or adequate nighttime residence are defined as homeless under the federal McKinney-Vento Act. These circumstances are caused due to financial hardship, eviction, domestic violence or other difficult life circumstances.  Examples of temporary living circumstances are:

  • sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason
  • living in motels, hotels,  or camping grounds
  • living in emergency or transitional shelters (includes transitional housing programs)
  • living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, bus or train stations, or on the street. 
  • Staying in substandard housing, without electricity or running water. 
  • Runaways or unaccompanied  (not in the physical custody of the parent or guardian)
  • migratory who qualify as homeless because of living in circumstances described above

Educational Rights of Children Experiencing Homelessness

If a student qualifies as homeless under the McKinney-Vento Act, they have the right to:


  • Immediate enrollment in school without the required documents, birth certificate, shot records, proof of residency
  • Remain the their school of origin if in the best interest of the child
  • Transportation support
  • Free and reduced lunch
  • Support from homeless liaison
  • Participate in all school activities
Student/Family Assistance:

If a family is homeless under the Mckinney-Vento definition they are eligible for support with ensuing the above rights are honored and support with resources.  If a parent/family needs assistance, please see below for the referral form and/or contact a staff member listed below.

Dispute Resolution:

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act requires that all education agencies follow a dispute resolution process when parents, guardians, or unaccompanied youth disagree with schools over eligibility, school selection, or school enrollment.

If a dispute arises, the school site or the parent needs to contact the Robla Homeless Liaison who will carry out the dispute resolution process.  
Magie Gomez's Profile Photo