June 2013 - District Events Calendar
The June 2013 District Calendar of Events is now available. To view/print the document, click here. You will need Adobe PDF Reader to view the document.
- 9:00 AM - SART Meeting (Glenwood)
- 9:00 AM - SART Meeting (Main Avenue)
- 1:00 PM - SART Meeting (Robla Elementary)
- 5:30 PM - CSEA Banquet (Robla Elementary)
- 9:00 AM - SART Meeting (Bell Avenue)
- 1:00 PM - Cabinet Meeting (District Office)
- 5:00 PM - RTA Banquet
- 9:00 AM - SART Meeting (Taylor Street)
- 5:30 PM - Special Board Meeting & Recognition Dinner (Robla Elementary)
- 1:00 PM - North Area Superintendent's Meeting
- Last Day of Preschool
June 12: Minimum Day
- Minimum Day (All Elementary Schools)
- Last Day of School
- 11:30 AM - Secretaries End of the Year Luncheon
- 12:30 PM - Cabinet Meeting (District Office)
- 6:30 PM - Board Meeting (Board Room)
- 1:00 PM - District Office Staff Meeting (District Office)
Whooping Cough Booster Shots
New law requires junior high, high school students to get whooping cough booster shots
A new California law requires that all 7th-12th graders be immunized against pertussis (whooping cough) before starting school in 2011. The law is in response to an epidemic of whooping cough that has the highest number of cases in California since 1947. Act now to avoid a last-minute rush, say county health officials.
“The number of students who will need a pertussis vaccine this year is unprecedented, so don’t wait,” says County Health Officer Glennah Trochet, M.D. “Ask your provider to vaccinate your student now and take the documentation to your school before the end of the school year.”
For the 2011-12 school year, students entering 7th through 12th grades will need proof of a pertussis booster shot (called a Tdap) before starting school. This new requirement:
- Begins July 1
- Will be met by receiving one dose of a Tdap vaccine on or after the child’s 7th birthday
- Must be documented in the child’s immunization records
- Applies to both public and private schools
- Affects all students unless the student has a medical or personal belief exemption.
- Does not affect students enrolled in summer school on July 1.
Beginning July 1, 2012, and beyond, only students entering the 7th grade will need proof that they have received a Tdap booster shot on or after their 7th birthday.
For more information, visit http://www.shotsforschool.org/, or call the Sacramento County Immunization Assistance Program at 916-875-SHOT (7468).
Definition of Children Experiencing Homelessness
According to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act, the term "homeless children and youths" means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and includes children and youths who are:
- sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason
- living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations
- living in emergency or transitional shelters (includes transitional housing programs)
- abandoned in hospitals or are awaiting foster care placement
- staying in a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
- living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings
- runaways or unaccompanied (not in the physical custody of the parent or guardian)
- migratory who qualify as homeless because of living in circumstances described above
For more information, check out the McKinney-Vento section.