Due to safety requirements for school bus transportation this year, the number of bus riders that can be transported is significantly reduced. Therefore, a selection process is outlined below to coordinate with the district’s transition learning model (A/B Cohorts). First priority for bus transportation is to provide service to preschool, TK and kindergartners district-wide, and to 1st graders being transferred between Bell Avenue and Main Avenue this year.
The Transportation Department is unable to provide transportation support to special programs this year, such as Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) and Dual Language Immersion (DLI) programs. Transportation to these programs will need to be provided by parents. Parents should contact site principals regarding transportation hardships. This will be addressed on a case-by-case basis as safety allows
Parents must check their child’s temperature every morning before leaving the house for the bus stop. Children must stay home if the temperature is 100.4 degrees or higher. If parents accompany their child to the bus stop, they must also wear a facemask and maintain six feet of social distance, as an example to the other students. If there is any doubt about a child’s health, parents are asked to seek advice from their pediatrician before using the bus. Bus stop wait times may be longer than expected. Please be patient and plan your bus route times accordingly.
Please be sure your child has a bus tag and please help the bus driver remind students of the sixfoot social distance if you escort your student to and from the bus stop.
- Arrive 5 minutes early.
- Wear a facemask.
- Always remain six feet away from others, except siblings, even as they walk onto the bus.
- Wear backpacks in front with bus tags visible.
- Must sanitize hands as the bus driver directs. Hand sanitizer is mounted on the right side compartment door.
- Must sit one child per seat as assigned by the bus driver.
- Must sit next to the window.
- Must share a seat with their siblings as assigned by the bus driver.
- Must wait for the bus driver to load the bus back to front as he or she decides is safest.
- Must sit down in seat assigned by the bus driver
- Must buckle seat belt and place backpack on lap.
After each student drop-off and before loading students at the school site, the bus driver will disinfect the bus.